|St. James's Square Bristol, from the south c1806. Watercolour attributed to Thomas Pole MD.|
© By courtesy of Bristol Museum & Art Gallery ref K4352, reproduction prohibited without permission.
|The Square was built between 1707 and 1716, and was the first in this country with a pediment as a unifying device on a long facade. The south side was not complete as the houses were interupted by an access avenue. Number 14 is the second house on the right, where a lady with Quaker dress and a bonnet is entering. We must assume that she is a family member.|
© Geoffrey Stone, Braintree 6-8-2004